neck pain

Neck pain can have many causes.

Neck Pain, Chiropractor, Bloomington Normal Illinois. numbness, tingling, disc herniationDid you know that 98% of all neck pain comes from mechanical origin.  This simply means that the pain could be caused by irritation to the muscles, tendons, ligaments or disc tissue due to some mechanical problem in your neck. The remaining 2% of causes of neck pain can be attributed to compression fractures, tumors and other disease processes.

So if you’re having neck pain the question you should ask is what is the root cause of the pain in my neck? So let’s discuss some reasons for neck pain and symptoms of neck pain, and see if we can figure out what your pain generator is.

Do you have pain and numbness or tingling radiating into your arm? If so it is likely that you have pressure on one of the nerves in your neck that go into your arms. It is also likely that this is caused by a disc herniation.

Do you have pain on one side of your neck that you can pinpoint to an area about the size of a quarter? Does this pain get worse if you tilt your head back? These are signs of irritation to the facet joint. The facet joint is a joint on either side of the vertebrae that interlock with the vertebrae above and below it. Irritation to this joint on the left or right side of your neck will cause pain over that area.

Do you have pain on both sides of your neck that goes from the top of your neck into your shoulders? Is this pain dull and achy? This is most likely muscular pain. Muscular pain in the neck can be caused by tension or sitting in one position for a long period of time.  Mechanical stresses on the neck such as an abnormal curvature of your spine can also irritate the muscles.

Do you have neck pain and stiffness when you first wake up in the morning? Does this pain improved when you get up and move around?  If so it is likely that you have degenerative disc disease with related muscle imbalances in your neck.  What this basically means is the mechanics of the next, ie your joints and muscles are not working correctly.

So if you’re having neck pain you should determine what is the root cause of your pain. This is done in the office by functional, orthopedic, and nuerodynamic testing

Why live in pain? Call our office at 309-585-0382 and make an appointment to determine what is generating your pain.

Please hover your mouse over the neck pain menu bar and then click on the neck exercise video page that will be best suited for your pain pattern or area to be treated.

Latest Posts

Location + Hours

Shepard Pain and Performance Care
2309 E Empire Street Suite 400 Bloomington, IL 61704
(309) 585-0382
Fax: (309) 808-0692 Google Maps

Monday 9:00-6:00 pm Tuesday 11:00-6:00 pm Wednesday 9:00-6:00 pm Thursday 11:00-6:00 pm Friday 9:00-6:00 pm

4.8 out 5 stars - based on 14 google and yelp reviews

On-site Active Release Treatment for Companies

Dr. Shepard provides on-site active release treatments for Bloomington IL and surrounding area companies. If you are a manager or owner of a company looking to decrease your recordable number of workers compensation claims. Contact Dr. Shepard today!

Google Map